Effects of Low Testosterone in Males Q&A
Males with low testosterone levels may experience erectile dysfunction. They can also have an impact on sleep, mood, testicle size, and other factors. If you need more information on how low testosterone levels can affect your body, read our below informational page. For more information, please contact us or request an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you in Lewisville TX, Sherman Oaks CA, Irvine CA, and Nashville TN.
Table of Contents:
Testosterone is a hormone that stimulates the development of masculine features in men, such as facial and body hair, increased muscle mass and a deeper voice. In teenage years, levels of testosterone are high, with production decreasing gradually over time. Therefore, low levels of testosterone most commonly occur in older men. However, Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome (TD) or Low Testosterone (Low-T) can happen at any age due to a number of factors, such as diabetes or obesity.
When low levels of the androgen result in negative side effects, symptomatic low testosterone poses a serious health threat for men. The most prevalent symptom of low testosterone is low levels of energy and fatigue. Another common symptom of low testosterone is decreased libido and erectile dysfunction. Psychological and mental effects can also be present with low levels of testosterone, experiencing such symptoms as anxiety, mood swings, and emotional instability.
Treatment options for low testosterone include hormone therapies such as low testosterone therapy and/or replacement. If low levels of testosterone is negatively impacting your sexual performance and overall health, it is important to be evaluated by a medical professional right away. The doctors at American Male Medical approach each individual patient according to their unique physiology, to ensure the best results when evaluating, diagnosing and treating Low T. Different hormone therapies include:
• Skin Patch – This treatment involves a patch that releases small amounts of the hormone into the skin. It is applied once a day and left on for 24 hours.
• Oral Therapy – Oral therapy typically involves capsules that are swallowed or tablets that are attached to the inner cheek or gum twice daily. Testosterone is broken down in the body and subsequently absorbed into the bloodstream.
• Pellets – Typically implanted subcutaneously around the hips or buttocks, these pellets slowly release testosterone and are replaced every three to six months.
• Injections – There are many different hormonal injections available with different compositions and treatment rates. They are typically injected every seven to 14 days. Immediately following the injection, testosterone levels can reach high levels, lasting this way for a few days before slowly balancing. This can cause major mood and energy fluctuations.
Low levels of testosterone can have implications on a man’s sexual health. These implications include low libido and erectile dysfunction. Low levels of testosterone can also cause fatigue and mood swings, which can both result in decreased sexual activity. Fortunately, when undergoing hormone therapy, testosterone levels can be restored and symptoms can disappear.
There are many causes of low testosterone in men, with aging increasing the risks of symptomatic low-T. The most common causes are:
• Injury to the testicles
• Certain types of infections
• Autoimmune diseases
• Certain types of medications
• Chronic illnesses
If you or someone you know is experiencing symptoms of low testosterone, come to American Male Medical today. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating low levels of testosterone and can help restore balance to your life. For more information on our low testosterone treatments and how they can benefit you, call our office and get in touch with a member of our specialist team. To request an appointment with our low testosterone specialist, visit our website or speak with us over the phone today. We have convenient locations to serve you in Lewisville TX, Sherman Oaks CA, Irvine CA, and Nashville TN.