What Causes ED?
Are you looking for the treatment of ED? Visit your nearest American Male Medical and get treated with our kind and compassionate professionals. For more information call us or schedule an appointment online. We have convenient locations to serve you in Lewisville TX, Nashville TN, Sherman Oaks CA, and Irvine CA.
Sexual health is important for a good quality of life; it allows us to enjoy intimacy with our partners and enables us with the ability to start a family. One of the most common sexual health disorders affecting men is erectile dysfunction (ED). ED is characterized by an inability to attain or maintain an erection and can cause many frustrations for a man and their partner, both psychological and physical. Fortunately, ED is a treatable condition.
What is the main cause of erectile dysfunction?
Many different factors affecting the vascular system (blood vessels), nervous system (nerves), and endocrine system (hormones) can cause or contribute to ED. Although ED is more likely to develop with age, aging does not cause ED. ED can be treated at any age. Causes of ED include:
- Certain diseases and conditions:
- type 2 diabetes
- heart and blood vessel disease
- high blood pressure
- chronic kidney disease
- multiple sclerosis
- Peyronie’s disease
- injury from treatments for prostate cancer
- injury to the penis, pelvis, prostate, bladder
- surgery for bladder cancer
- Taking certain medicines, such as:
- blood pressure medicines
- antiandrogens (used for prostate cancer therapy)
- tranquilizers, or prescription sedatives
- appetite suppressants
- ulcer medicines
- Certain psychological or emotional issues, including:
- fear of sexual failure
- guilt about sexual performance or sexual activities
- low self-esteem
- stress about sexual performance
- stress in life in general
- Certain health-related factors and behaviors, including:
- drinking too much alcohol
- using illegal drugs
- being overweight
- not being physically active
How can I improve my erectile dysfunction?
There are many ways a man can improve his erectile dysfunction, including:
- Improve Diet — Eating heart-healthy foods (fruits, vegetables, nuts, fish) and avoiding foods that contribute to heart disease (processed sugar, fatty foods, high-calorie foods) can improve ED.
- Achieve and Maintain a Healthy Body Weight— Obesity is closely linked with serious health problems that can cause many complications, including erectile dysfunction.
- Exercise on a Regular Basis— Regular exercise helps support overall health and may improve cardiovascular risk factors such as poor circulation and high blood pressure; it can also improve erectile function.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep— Both mental and physical health are impacted when adequate and quality sleep is not received, including erectile dysfunction.
- Reduce and Manage Levels of Stress — Chronic stress cannot only be damaging to one’s health, it can also affect the ability to attain and maintain an erection.
- Stop Smoking — Tobacco and nicotine use restricts blood flow, which can negatively impact erectile function. Moderating the intake of alcohol can also help improve erectile function.
- Receive a Testosterone Test — Testosterone levels begin to decline at a certain age, even in healthy men. Low testosterone levels have been directly associated with erectile dysfunction, so these tests can help determine if Low-T is the cause of ED.
- Consider Taking ED Medications— ED medications are one of the most common treatments for erectile dysfunction, and include drugs such as PDE5 inhibitors.
Can a man overcome erectile dysfunction?
There are many things men can do to overcome erectile dysfunction, including lifestyle modifications, medications, and certain therapies. Two types of therapy are particularly effective for treating ED: Wave Therapy and PT-141 Peptide Therapy. These therapies have a high success rate in patients with ED and have helped countless men improve their sexual performance.
If you are experiencing erectile dysfunction, come to American Male Medical today. Our male sexual health specialists are experienced at treating ED and have helped thousands of people enhance their sexual function and performance. Call us today to book an appointment for erectile dysfunction, or visit one of our four convenient locations: Lewisville TX, Nashville TN, Sherman Oaks CA, and Irvine CA. We serve patients from Lewisville TX, Carrollton TX, Flower Mound TX, Sherman Oaks CA, Los Angeles CA, Irvine CA, Tustin CA, Nashville TN, and Oak Hill TN. We look forward to serving you!