What Is the Main Cause of Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction can be caused by physical concerns such as heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and smoking. Depression, anxiety, stress, relationship troubles, and other mental health issues, on the other hand, can all interfere with sexual sensations. Discover what might be causing your erectile dysfunction at American Male Medical. We can help you enhance your sexual function in Sherman Oaks CA, Lewisville TX, Nashville TN, and Irvine CA. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online. We hope to hear from you soon.
Table of Contents:
How do I know if I have erectile dysfunction?
What are the risk factors for erectile dysfunction?
What causes a man not to erect or have a weak erection?
How do you fix erectile dysfunction?
What tests are done to diagnose erectile dysfunction?
What is the first line treatment for ED?
Erectile dysfunction refers to the inability to get or maintain an erection and reduced interest in sexual activity. It is a common condition that affects around 30 million men in the United States. There are many lifestyle factors that can contribute to ED, such as activity levels and diet. Fortunately, for those who have ED, there are many treatment options available that can produce successful results.
You may have erectile dysfunction if you experience the following signs and symptoms persistently:
– Reduced desire for sex
– Inability to get an erection
– Inability to maintain an erection
– Low sexual self-esteem
The following factors may increase the likeliness of developing ED:
– Advancing age
– Mental health condition like anxiety, depression or stress
– Medical conditions like heart disease, hypertension or diabetes
– Tobacco use
– Alcohol use
– Illicit substance use
– Overweight or obese
– Certain medical treatments such as cancer radiation therapy
– Certain medications, including antihistamines or antidepressants
– A physical injury that may have damaged the nerves or arteries that affect the ability to have an erection
The causes of erectile dysfunction or a weak erection can be physical, psychological, or a combination of the two. Physical causes of erection dysfunction are more common in men of older age. They may occur because of disorders, conditions or abnormalities that affect the nerves and blood vessels responsible for causing an erection.
Physical causes include medical conditions such as:
– Heart disease
– Atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries
– High blood pressure
– High cholesterol
– Parkinson’s disease
– Multiple sclerosis (MS)
– Liver or kidney disease
– Penile scarring that results in a curved penis (Peyronie’s disease)
– Certain medications, including beta-blockers, diuretics, muscle relaxers
– Substance abuse
– Long-term use of tobacco
– Trauma to the spinal cordor genital region
– Congenital genitalia problems
– Treatment for prostate problems
Psychological or emotional issues can distract men of any age from becoming aroused, and include:
– Concerns about not being able to achieve or maintain an erection
– Prolonged emotional distress related to social, economic or professional issues
– Conflicts in a relationship
– Depression or anxiety
There are many things you can do to fix erectile dysfunction, from therapies to medications. The first step in fixing erectile dysfunction is receiving a medical diagnosis from a qualified professional. After receiving a diagnosis, the examining physician will determine what treatment option is best for your individual situation. In most cases, conservative treatments will be utilized first, and if unsuccessful, more interventional methods may be required to produce desirable results.
Tests for erection dysfunction may include:
– Blood tests for testosterone, prolactin, thyroid hormone and luteinizing hormone
– A urine test
– Complete blood count
– Blood sugar level
– Cholesterol and triglyceride levels
The first line of treatment for erectile dysfunction include noninvasive and nonsurgical methods, and which option will be used depends on your unique situation. These conservative treatments are tried first as they are often very successful.
If you or someone you love is experiencing erectile dysfunction, trust the male health specialists at American Male Medical to help you find a solution. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating erectile dysfunction and can help enhance your sexual performance. Call us today or book an appointment. We serve patients from Lewisville TX, DFW TX, Carrollton TX, Flower Mound TX, Sherman Oaks CA, Burbank CA, Glendale CA, Los Angeles CA, Irvine CA, Tustin CA, Nashville TN, Brentwood TN, and Oak Hill TN. Looking forward to serving you!