What Causes Low Testosterone in Men?
Learn about the potential benefits of testosterone replacement therapy with American Male Medical near Sherman Oaks, CA and Irvine, CA. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online. We have 4 locations to serve you!
Table of Contents:
What causes low testosterone in males?
What happens when a man’s testosterone is low?
How do you fix low testosterone?
When do men start losing testosterone?
Low testosterone in men is a condition in which the testicles do not produce enough testosterone which is the male sex hormone. Testosterone helps to maintain and develop several features of a male including muscle mass, bone density, sexual and reproductive function, sexual features, a sense of well-being and adequate levels of red blood cells.
As men grow older, the amount of testosterone in their bodies gradually decreases. This naturally starts to decline after the age of 30 and will continue throughout his life.
While this is not the only cause of low testosterone, it is the main cause. Other causes include:
– Injury or Infection to the testicles
– Metabolic disorders
– Dysfunction or tumors of the hypophysis
– Medications (i.e., opioids, hormones used in prostate cancer treatment and steroids)
– Acute or chronic illness
– Alcohol abuse
– Cirrhosis of the liver
– Chronic kidney failure
– Inflammation of the lungs and other organs
– Kallman Syndrome
– Klinefleter Syndrome
– High levels of prolactin
– Overweight or Obesity
– Type 2 diabetes (Uncontrolled)
– Congenital defect (present at birth)
– Sleep Apnea
– Excess estrogen
– Pubertal delay
– Head trauma
– Radiation exposure or prior brain surgery
Testosterone offers a sex hormone which if affected can provide negative symptoms which include erectile dysfunction, reduced bone mass and sex drive.
If you start to notice these signs of low testosterone, contact American Male Medical to book an appointment, long-term neglect can lead to symptoms worsening. Other signs and symptoms of low testosterone are:
– Problems with erections
– Hair loss
– Reduced bone mass
– Reduction in testicle size
– Reduction in the amount of semen being produced
– Difficulty sleeping
– Lowered sex drive
– Reduced muscle mass
– Hot flashes
– Decrease in energy levels
– Increase in body fat
– Mood changes or mood swings
Low testosterone does not always present signs or symptoms, and some only learn about it after a routine physical exam and bloodwork. To diagnose someone with low testosterone, our doctors will often perform a physical exam and review your symptoms. They also may request you get certain tests done to look for additional signs of low testosterone.
Low testosterone can be fixed with testosterone replacement therapy. There are several different options which testosterone replacement can be given:
– Intramuscular injections (directly into the muscle), usually every 10 to 14 days;
– Testosterone patches, which are used every day and are applied to different areas of the body, including the buttocks, arms, back, and abdomen
– Testosterone gels that are applied every day to the skin of the upper back and arms (the gels require care in making sure that the hormone is not accidentally transferred to another person or partner)
– Pellets that are implanted under the skin every two months
Testosterone replacement therapy offers many potential benefits which include:
– In boys who haven’t reached puberty yet, this will help to avoid any problems related to delayed puberty
– Loss of fat
– Increased bone density and protection against osteoporosis
– Improved mood and sense of well-being
– Improved sexual function
– Improved mental sharpness
– Greater muscle strength and physical performance
Usually after the age of 30, men start to see a decline in their testosterone, some signs could be decrease in their sex drive, which many men believe is a loss of interest in sex simply because they are getting older, which is a common misconception. Determining if its low testosterone or other medical issues, a doctor will have their patient get a blood test to determine the man’s testosterone level. This will accurately provide the information needed to properly treat low testosterone.
If you are experiencing any of the signs or symptoms shown for low testosterone, make an appointment to see one of our doctors at American Male Medical today. We serve patients from Lewisville TX, DFW TX, Carrollton TX, Flower Mound TX, Sherman Oaks CA, Burbank CA, Glendale CA, Los Angeles CA, Irvine CA, Tustin CA, Nashville TN, Brentwood TN, and Oak Hill TN. Looking forward to serve you!